Content

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Why I Love the Mail

We all know I love getting snail mail. 

But I also love the mail because it brings me these:

And sometimes these:

And I like to send out these:
(Care packages to loved ones.)

And, in return, I get these:

But a big reason I love the mail is because of this:



The easiest way to give back to your community, to stamp out hunger, to do something nice for someone else just because. This SATURDAY, MAY 14, the Post office is doing their "Stamp out Hunger" Food Drive.  
It's so easy! Just  TWO steps:
1. Fill a bag with non-perishable food (don't include things in glass containers or that have expired)
2. Walk 20 feet to your mailbox and leave it there. (The postman will pick it up and deliver it to a local food bank)

I know, I know, there's still so many excuses not to do it: "I have to get a bag!", "I have to get some food!", "I don't know if I have enough food", "What?! I have to give them stuff from Trader Joe's?!", "I'm a broke, unemployed recent graduate", "I'm busy studying for the Bar."

Yes these are all legitimate concerns, but you don't have to fill the bag, you don't have to buy stuff from Trader Joe's, and you're not too busy to do this, especially if you're already going to the mailbox to check for your Netflix. If you think you can't afford to do this, be honest with yourself, how much do you throw away in wasted groceries every time? How about giving that food that you would buy anyway, but end up eventually throwing out to someone that would enjoy it? 

My last plea, think about how long it took me to do this: take photos, upload photos to my computer, upload photos to Picasa, upload to blog, write naggy reasons to participate, send post to family and friends that I believe are good, kind, wonderful, generous, caring people that will help.  In light of my last post, if I think that this is important enough to use my 30 minute lunch break over, it probably is. So please participate and pass this post on to other good, kind, wonderful, generous, caring people, in the words of Michael Scott, "forward it like it's hot!"

Love to hear if you did this! Leave me a comment!
Thanks for hearing me out!

2 comments:

Olga says:
at: May 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM said...

Awesome possum!

I have a slight variation to the proposed plan: I have a box of goodies I was going to take to the local homeless shelter... partly for selfish reasons of not wanting to haul it to Seattle...

SurelyMaeby says:
at: May 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM said...

Oh Olga, way to not follow directions! HAHA jk! That's awesome, whatever your motivation is. I'm partly doing it because my fortune from a fortune cookie the other day said it's my turn to do a random act of kindness for someone else. ;)

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive